Comedy Lounge Festival Diary

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day 4

It's been a lot harder than I anticipated to manage to get to an internet cafe - despite the fact that there is a nice new one in between the Pleasance Courtyard and the Dome/Teviot. It's also handy for the Underbelly. And it's not just me being useless, its me being busy for a change. On my first full day at the festival I saw 6 shows. It's been really cool, the flat is lovely - it makes me want to come and live here - Edinburgh flats are just beautiful and huge. Helena was sposed to be going home tomorrow but has decided to stay until Monday which is great news, and the lovely Kerry will be up before we wake up tomorrow morning so that's exciting news for the weekend.

I've seen 13.5 shows so far. I've had a chance to write short reviews about a couple of them, post stars for most of them but sadly there have been a few which I shall abstain from putting on the site cos they've just been disappointingly terrible. One in particular which featured two performers - one of which I have seen perform stand up before and she was really good. So I was terribly disappointed to find myself wanting the hour of my life back. On the whole it is just very strange to be here. It doesn't seem like I've been away - has it really been 11 months since Fringe 2004? Its quite nice seeing shows on my own and having proper work to do cos it prises me out of bed a lot earlier and by my Edinburgh standards I have hardly had anything to drink and hardly been in the Brookes Bar. I have been very kindly been given a Spank pass so I can at least pop in and see people without having to pay and then feel as though I have to stay for the whole night. The room that Spank is in is really perfect for it and intend to go a lot more. Have so far managed to avoid bumping into many people at all. Its bizarre. I think because there are so many different late night shows and venue bars people have become a lot more scattered which I think is a good thing.

My toppest favouritest comedy show so far has been Dave Skinner and friends. I am taking Kerry to see it on Sunday to see what she thinks. There is a character who does a song with one of our favourite words in it so I can't wait for her shriek when she hears it. The most incredible thing I have seen at the festival was La Clique. It ended up being me, H, Uncle Vinny, Lucy Porter and the Puppetry of the Penis guys at one table with a really good view in the Spiegeltent. There was a trapeze lady, a belly dancing man, a drag queen, a naked lady doing magic, a hula hoop lady, a funny singing lady, the homoerotic and very strong Caesar twins and two skating Willow people who were really f*cking incredible. Again I am going back and dragging Kerry with me. We just couldn't believe what our eyes were seeing. It was no ordinary circus, it was classy, funny, sexy and dangerous!!

Anyway, my time is running out now, I have to run and see Richard Herring which I am of course very excited about. My god, I am seeing three more shows after Rich, and he finises at 9pm. Well done me. I deserve a medal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home